Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Saga Continues!

Hello to family and friends who are still checking in on us:
We had a very eventful day at the Huntman Center on Monday. It is an amazing place and there is no end to the surprises and fun the medical team keeps thinking up for Marty to do. We met his new Chinese doctor, Dr. Ying Hitchcock. Much was accomplished, including his tatoos, mask made special for him, a baseline hearing test and the Patient treatment Conference. He will officially start next Monday and we have made a tentative plan to stay at the University Guest house----which has many advantages.
His job for this week is to concentrate on healing and eating and NOT losing any more weight before the onslot of radiation hits him. He has now lost 54 pounds and since they predict he will lose 10% of his body weight having the radiation, he is to GAIN this week. (I can probably give him lessons on that one !!!!) Dr Hitchcock feels he has an 80% survival rate which we like MUCH better than the 40% we were first given !!! We love you all and appreciate your love and support.
Love, LaRee and Marty

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gee, I gained 5 pounds by just coming to see you Marty!!! I sure wish I could do some redistri-bution and help you out on the weight gain crisis. I don't mean it to be funny. I know it truly isn't! I am glad that you got much accomplished and have things set up for next week. I think staying at the huntsman's guest house is a great plan, as I am sure you will find a wonderful place to be. We love you and have faith that things will continue to look better all the time. When we look at the odds going from 40% to 80% we can all see you are a miracle!!!! Keep up doing what needs to be done and praying for the courage and peace to handle what lies ahead. Our prayers are with you. Love, SunDee and Randy

Anonymous said...

It is too bad we can't too fat transplants because I would be a willing donor! I'm so glad that you have an additional week to heal from the surgery, drink nutritious liquid by the quart, (NO MORE PEPSI OR COKE) and grow that beard out a little longer! When they say 80%, they don't know the real Marty Baker. We know he will be in the 100% club. Love you all and love to hear the updates! Love, Polly June

Anonymous said...

Well coz if you need any fat I will be more than happy to share with you. It was sooooo very good to see you last week You mean alot to me. Thanks LaRee for taking good care of him. You are the best. Love to both of you.

Anonymous said...

Martin we had a great time on the cruise, but surely missed you. Will I be able to see you now that you are so thin. Great news on the 80% rate I am very proud of you and am proud to be your Mother. Take care LaRee I'm sure you are busy. Enjoy your rest both of you. My prayers are with you.
Love Mom

Anonymous said...

That is great news Marty!!!! Keep up the good work...love ya all

Anonymous said...

Such great news! We are glad to hear that you are doing good. I want to thank you Marty for calling the other day and checking on my Mom, she was so touched that you did that, she said that you are an inspiration to her in the healing process. You are an inspiration to many, including us. Good luck on Monday with radiation. I hope that we will get to come and see you since you will be in our neck of the woods. Please give us a call. Much love to you all,
Michelle, Gordon, and the brats....I mean kids. ;-)