Monday, November 5, 2007

WOW

Dear Family and Friends,
I know it appears that I have forgotten the blog. I have not, but things have been so hectic and MANY things that should have been done went undone. Marty is so miserable. It is hard to describe what he goes through each day. He has a few hours of feeling decent each day, but for the most part, he is hurting and feels as weak as a kitten. It doesn't take much for him to be freezing or roasting. I think his body's thermastat has been radiated !!! I am very grateful for the sleeping med which now gets him at least 4 to 5 hours of sleep each night.
The most exciting news.........this is week #6. Only 5 more treatments and he is finished with radiation. At first when Dr. Hitchcock told him he would have 6 instead of 7, we were happy. But, on this end of it, we are elated !!! He cannot even fathom going 2 more weeks. Last Wednesday, he tried to bargain down for friday of the 5th week to be his last. The Dr. let him know what a BAD idea that would be. His dose and duration have been carefully calculated and he needs each one prescribed for the best outcome. But each day he feels he is being killed a little more (and he is) and he told the Dr., "I don't know how there could be anything left to kill---they've killed me enough." I thought it was a pretty accurate despcription of how he is feeling.
I know that whenever anything bad happens, I say it's the hardest thing I have ever done, and I'm going to say it again. I hate seeing him so sick and getting worse and weaker as each week of radiation takes it's toll. I wish I could take some of it from him. Many have said that very thing to him, and I know they mean it, but he has to do this himself. I am so glad that by Friday, the treatments will be done and after the effects of that have stopped, he can start to get better each week as he did after the surgery. He still has alot ahead of him.....just thnking of the dental work ahead of him and getting used to eating with his new teeth and new titanium jaw worries me. He doesn't know when the doctors will release him to go back to work, but knows he's got alot of work ahead of him to gain the strength he will need to pull off one of those 15 hour days!
We are so grateful to his work for putting on the benifit on his behalf that will be this Saturday, November 10th at the bowling alley in Montpelier from 10am - 5pm. He is hoping to pace himself and be there as much as he can.......it is a high priority for him. But, he knows he will just have to play it by ear.......depending on how much energy he can muster up.
Thank you to all who have remembered him in your prayers. We continue to be overwhelmed by the acts of kindness and generousity people have shown since this all began.
Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts, Love,
LaRee, and of course, Marty

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow great news! I am so glad that radiation is almost over and I know how painful that gets.... Marty, You are strong and wise and I know deep down you will fight this to the end... I love you all and hope and pray for the best....
love always

Anonymous said...

It was good to hear something from you again. I am so glad that this week is the final week of radation. Marty I think of you all the time and wish only the best for you. Love ya.