Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving News

Dear Friends and Family,
Well, Marty & I knew this was going to be a "different" Thanksgiving Day, but we did not know HOW different. He was definite that he did not want us to host a dinner or even have a Turkey cooking in the house. So.....the kids all made their own plans. I was to go to Brandons with him and Curtis's families, Deidra had a dinner with Josh's family and Angie was with Elaine in Paris.
Oh, how grateful I am that I was not cooking and setting up for a crowd because by 10:30 a.m. Marty said uncle to keeping up the fight for nutrition and we headed to the ER. We are grateful that Dr. Vashu Thakur took his case and after speaking with the doctors from the Huntsman, admitted him to the hospital. Lots of tests were done and an attempt at an nasal feeding tube was made. However, the most dramatic thing that happened was after the decision to admit was made, Marty rubbed a crusty patch on his neck and a volcano of unmentionable substance erupted. It was a shock to both of us. Last night , when I rubbed the cream on his scars and radiation burns, the incisions were clean and closed. This was cultured, blood cultures were drawn and a chest X-ray and CT scan were done. So, this explains the 104 fevers and the severe chills for the past 2 weeks ! I stayed with him and about 7 or so, he told me to go home and get some rest. I hated to leave, but knew he was right. All the kids came to see us briefly (no grandkids). I would have loved to get right to bed, but felt I had several things to do----laundry seemed pretty important since we are not sure what germs will grow from the cultures. I want a clean start on things when he comes home. He was started on some pretty hefty antibiotics until the cultures come back.
Because of not wanting to spread anything to my dialysis patients, I checked in on him by talking with his nurse, June, thru the shift and it was 3pm before I actually saw him and went to his room. Angie and Aly came just as I was heading up to see him. He looks much better today. His potassium is up to 3.2 (still low) he has not run fevers today and just after I arrived, he rubbed his chin and out came an eruption of infection from a small hole in his chin. He was horrified and I was glad. (Oh, lets just get it all out and get him better !!!!) He now has two new meds for nausea which seem to be really helping as he has kept 2 cans of nutrition down and some tastes of some other food items. THIS IS PROGRESS.
I am going home to get some personal items for him and then will come back and stay as long as he lets me.
This was not a fun Thanksgiving day, but we have much to be grateful for. I am thankful to Marty for being such a fighter and that I still have him to worry about and love. I am grateful for all our children and the things they do and have done to help us at this time. We are grateful to all our families, friends, community members who have shown their love, support and care for him. Remember him in your prayers. Love, LaRee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are glad to know that Marty is getting some relief and some nutrition and hope that you too, LaRee will get some rest and nutrition for yourself!!! It definately has been a different Thanksgiving this year. But all in all, you are right: We have so much to be grateful for! Please get better soon Marty, and don't give up! We love you. Randy and SunDee

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that you are now getting some much needed nutrition. I am also glad to hear that all that infection is now coming out and hope that you will start to feel alittle better each day. I am thankful that you are still with us too. I know that this has been a ruff year for you. I am always thinking about you. You are in my prayers also.

Love to both of you