Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sunday Night

Dear Friends and Family,
I spent the entire day in room 11 with Marty and he has had quite the day. His intake is still quite good, but he is getting very restless and agitated the longer he is captive in the hospital. We finally got the name to put on his infection---STREP.......so, yes it is also called a flesh eating bacteria and can do rotten stuff to the body if left untreated, but Yeah, he has been on a double dose of the "right" antibiotic since admission and so Dr. Thakur feels he will do well. Since we already see so much improvement, I have a good feeling about things. He has been miserable most of the day, but did take a walk with me, endured a session of Deidra and I writing thank you letters in his room so that he was in on it and continued to work on getting a great amount of nutrition in thru the day. About 6pm he had a very weird spell. He got dizzy, nauseated, and felt like he could not breathe. June came right away and his 0xygen sat was only 87-88 and it took quite the hefty dose of oxygen to get him up into the 90's. His blood pressure dropped extremely low and he started the shivers and was freezing and shaking. Warm blankets really did not really help all that much--as they usually do. I expected his fever to spike again after all the chilling, but it did not. Another Demeral/Phenergan IV was started, which did help him calm down. His veins (that have aways been fine specimans to behold) have been poked and prodded and the IV he has at this time hurts--probably because the Vanco is such a irritating antibiotic to the veins. The powerful antibiotics have also restarted the fungal infection in his mouth and he is miserable , as is the medicine he has to take for it. I am so tired, and felt bad leaving, but we both know my day starts very early tomorrow and it is his 59th Birthday--so we both need some rest. So, I have to get to bed and dream up some fun things to do that will not embarrass him or make him mad. My brain is not really up to being too creative tonight, but I know I can think of a thing or two. If Cristy Transtrum comes to work for even a few hours tomorrow, I can count on her to sing happy birthday to him---even over the overhead speakers of the hospital. So, I kissed my 58 year old sweetheart and reminded him that he will be 59before I see him again.
We had 2 special Elders from the Bear Lake Ward come to visit--Brother Brower and Brother Spencer. They not only gave Marty a beautiful blessing, but then turned and offered one to me, too. I heard many reassuring things in both our blessings and was touched that Brother Spencer offered and gave one to me. Deidra had made me promise last night that I would ask for one if Dad had another blessing today. I was sitting there wondering how to phrase my request, when he offered. I just feel it was meant to be and many things said are a comfort to me tonight.
I have left Marty in good hands and pray for a good nights rest for both of us.
I am saddened by the news of Slim Reddington's death. Beth and Slim have just been such a special couple throughout my life. I am sorry for the struggles he has had with his health. I will try to update how THE BIRTHDAY goes. If you try to call him and have trouble, just call the nurse's station and they can help him get the phone to his ear. The nurses station is 208 847 1630. He may not be too communicative, but I'm sure it will help pass the time to hear some familiar voices.
Love to all, LaRee, Mom, Grandma Ree

0 comments: