Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tincture of Torture and Time

Dear Family and Friends,
Getting back to Salt Lake to be with Marty yesterday felt good. After attending the Sun Valley Convention and working just one day at Dialysis, I headed back. Though very glad to see him, I am so saddened to see how much more miserable he is. The bleeding after Tuesday's treatment was alarming to him and on Wednesday, he was informed that he is now dealing with a fungal infection throughout his mouth. It has bumped his mouth and throat pain and irritation up a notch and he is just in so much misery. He dumped another 6 pounds on the official weigh in for the week, so now the feeding tube issue is back on the table. ATTENSION: It is not up for discussion as far as our "strong" patient is concerned---not going to happen! I was prepared to find it would already have been placed by the time I got here, but it has not. He worked most of the night on getting fluids down and getting all his "new" meds for the infection and his other meds down. I wish I could take away some of this for him.
I want to go on record as saying that I WILL be on the doctor's side to get the tube back in, but IN THE STOMACH------not his nose. His throat cannot take anything else right now. And, by being on the doctor's side, I am being on Marty's side because I know that will be best FOR him. He could just drink to keep things most and not worry about the nutrition aspect at all. It will be interesting.
On a more positive note, I am thrilled with how the new sleeping med is working for him. With his long standing sleep difficulty and his extreme exhaustion and pain, he was still not getting any real rest. Last night was the best I have seen him sleep in ages. The only thing that woke him (several times) was the pain in his throat which got him right to the sink to use the special mouth preparation that has been ordered.
He was still sleeping and our appointment is not until 10:00, so I came to the lobby to eat and get on the blog. Love to all. Remember him in your prayers,
Love LaRee, and of course, Marty

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about the new pain that you are going through. I wish I could take some of it away for you. I love you Marty. It has to be very tough what you are going through. Just know you are in my prayers and thoughts on a daily basis. I am glad to hear that you are getting some sleep.
Love to both of you

Wetzel's said...

Marty and LaRee, I sure wish there was more that we could do to help. You are always in our prayers. I don't know if Marty has tried Boost its a high calorie drink(about 380 calories a can). Danton would drink it when nothing else would taste good, he liked the chocolate ones the best, they also have strawberry and vanilla, I know that you can get it at the grocery store, our grocery store has it by the pharmacy next to all of the protien drinks and health food. We offer it to patients at the hospital who are having troubles eating.I don't know how he can handle shakes but we make shakes using the boost for the milk with lots of ice cream. Marty hang in there, we love you and are praying for you, one more week down, way to go!!
Love Danton and Susan

Anonymous said...

Dear Grandpa,
I love you. It was good to see you today , but I hate seeing you sick. I hope you get better soon. I mopped your kitchen floor, so don't slip and fall! Love, Bradley

Anonymous said...

Dear Grandpa,
It was good to see you today, but I hate seeing you sick. I mopped your kitchen floor so don't slip and fall. I love you, Bradley

Anonymous said...

Marty, I am so sorry to hear about the pain you are going through. I wish there was something more that I could do to make you feel better. I am glad that LaRee made it back safe and sound from her trip...Hang in there and things will be ok....Love always