Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 23, 2007 Tuesday morning
Dear Family & Friends,
Without going into GREAT detail of how frustrating Monday, yesterday was, I will just say that even though Marty said he needed the feeding tube, the only option they had for him was to have the nasal/throat type of feeding tube until the surgery could be scheduled for the stomach tube on Thursday! NO to that idea. His throat is so 10 PLUS PLUS on the 1.10 scale of pain that he did NOT see that as possibility and I fought FOR him on that decision. Then, the only option was to admit him as an inpatient and the surgery would possibly be done sooner with IVs on board until it was done. Jane, his nurse & Dr Hitchcock and her visiting colleage were called in to talk with him. I was so relieved he was going to get some much needed help. However, as Marty now puts it, he had a "panic attack" and refused that option.
So, we returned to the room and he tried to do the best he could---actually getting 3 cans of STUFF and one glass of water in ---for the whole day, but NOT having to be and inpatient patient. He only had one nurse and that was me and I was mad. Poor Marty!!
I was speechless (that is the only kind word I can say online, because there are many other adjectives that go in there). He has lost another 4 pounds so I do not even know what to guess will happen tomorrow----the day Dr. Hitchcock officially makes rounds on him. We know he needs more pain meds and numbing gargle, as he is being more generous with himself as suggested by Jane and Dr. Hitchcock.
Treatment went ok today and we will work on topping yesterday's intake and being grateful that we have each other and the nice accommadations and lots of family and friends rooting for him.
Love to all, LaRee, and of course, Marty



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Marty and LaRee. I know how frusterated that can be...I am thinking of you both everyday and hope and pray that you will be safe and sound from everything. Lots of love always

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I guess my last posting was too upsetting or graphic to handle as ashley was the only one who made a comment on it. Sorry, LaRee

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that things are still going ruff for you. I was so hoping that the feeding tube in the stomach would happen and you could start getting some much needed nourishment. I wish I could take away some of your pain Marty. I think of you daily. Lee (the Ex) said to tell you hi. And he wishes you well too. Love to both of you.