Friday, December 14, 2007

December 14, 2007

Dear Family and Friends,
Our days have been like a rollercoaster ride the last 10 days. I apologize for the big gap since my last post. Part of it was time, but some of it was that we always seemed to be waiting for the results of something before reporting the news.
There actually was a great reason I did not write, I think. For, if I had written even 5 days ago, it would have been a very gloomy and pesimistic report.
However, today I can just RAVE about how great Marty is doing. We went to his two Salt Lake doctors , Dr. Ying Hitchcock and Dr. Promod Sharma, for followup visits. (We will be seeing a lot of them this next year, I see.) Both did thorough exams and both told him he is doing great. They are thrilled with his progress. Neither was impressed by his week long inpatient hospitization with a wicked Strep infection and fevers up to 104 degrees, the open draining site on his neck, his violent shakes or his low energy and stamina to walk or stand for any length of time. Their standard reply to all was that these are very typical with the extent of his cancer, surgery and radiation. WOW.
They approved going ahead with getting some evaluations and starting on the denture problem. We were in Dr. Timothy's office the next day @ 8:30 am. I could not beleive how quickly the preliminary adjusting of the existing dentures were made and he walked out of the office with his teeth in. No, I'm not kidding. WOW. As you can imagine, with both doctors applauding his progress and getting the go ahead on teeth, his spirits are lifted immensley. We were both just so releived at how things went and he has just had two great, but tiring days. He was just exhausted by 9pm. But, he had done so much that it was a good tired.
We have so much to be grateful for this year. I feel just having him alive and healing is my best Christmas present ever. I hope neither of us take anything for granted ever again. We never go to sleep without saying "I Love You" and I never leave for work without telling him---even if I am waking him up to tell him. We have always been pretty good to do that, but now it is 100%. I recommend it to all.
Now, I have got the tree up and a few other decorations around the house. Marty has made sugar cookies once (with the promise of more) and one batch of Christmas cake. I still may consider the blog my Christmas card this year, but don't be surprized if you get an actual card from me, too. I do love getting cards and sending them and have already received so many nice ones.
Please know that we appreciate each and every kindness that has come our way. The list of people who have called, sent cards, rendered acts of kindness, sent gifts or money, put Marty's name in the temples around us, prayed for Marty and our whole family, made visits to our home or the hospital............is a long, loving list.
You know who you are and what you have done and it is all appreciated.
After serving as Relief Society President for 5 years, I thought I had heard of every kind & thoughtful way people show their love and willingness to help others. However, we have seen so many new and wonderful ways people show their love and concern through Marty's illness. I could write a book.
Happy Holidays to all, Love, LaRee, and of couse, Marty

3 comments:

Deidra said...

I just wanted you and dad to know how much we love and appreciate all that you do for us. Even though you may not think you do alot for us, you do. Emotional love and support are sometimes just what we need. You always make us feel welcome and appreciated and loved. So thank you! I am so happy about dad's new wednesday and him getting his teeth back. When I saw him last night the first thing I said was SMILE and he did and I could just see his eyes light up. I can't imagine how hard this has been the last 4 months to have his teeth gone. I know it will be an adjustment but HELLO do we think he can do it! YES! Now we know that he can do ANYTHING! I love you mom and I love you dad. Love Deidra and Josh and Handy Andy

Anonymous said...

I am soooo glad to read about the progress you have made Marty. I am sure it is great to have your teeth back. Keep up the good work coz. Know that you are loved and thought of daily. Thanks LaRee for being there you are awesome.

Love to both of you.

Anonymous said...

Christmas isn't Christmas until I get my Mary and LaRee update. There have been so many ups and wonderful things to report through the years. I'll never forget the year you went through the temple. I cried and cried with joy. Your life experiences have brought you closer together and helped you be the great people you are. I was so sorry to hear about Marty's cancer. I know it will be another one of those things that turns out to be filled with tender mercies. I can tell the Lord has his hand in all you are going through. I know as we trust Him we will feel that peace the angels sings about.
Love, Barbara